[Gimp-user] Captioned newspaper photo

I have a captioned newspaper photo iI would like to clean up and make
a photo on photo paper. It has some creases I would also like to
repair. Has anyone attempted this and give me some guidance?

To be truthful, this forum with the mailing list format does not lend itself to
detailed answers.

Try one of the other forums, and give details. The operating system, version of
Gimp, it does make a difference. All or part of the image, size in pixels etc.

For repair, all depends on the image and to a certain extent how it is acquired.
Preferably scanned at, at-least 300 pixels-per-inch (ppi) although a **good**
photograph (camera-on-stand) with even lighting can work.

Things to look up

Newspaper images use half-toning, the image is made up of tiny dots. There are
various third party plugings to improve this, one is fast-fourier-transform
(FFT) not so easy for a beginner to understand.

Another multi-tool is the gmic-gimp plugin www.gmic.eu This has a 'repair
scanned document' filter which might help.

Creases - depends where they are. Using the clone-tool/heal-selection-tool can
take adjacent 'clean' areas and over-write the crease. Sometimes a crafted
overlay in one of the layer modes will work.

Vary rarely a one-click solution, that is the province of television CSI...

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)