[Gimp-user] Let's discuss about the text tool

Hello all,

I've been using GIMP for a while now, and the way the Text tool works as always bugged me. I would like to
discuss what bugs me, what other people think, potential solutions for it.

Now, maybe I'm using the tool wrong, or maybe there is a rationale I don't understand behind some decisions.
In that case, I would love to have the feedback from a power user or a developer.

1. "Tool Options" Versus floating panel

When you create a text, a floating panel appears above it.

Some options are common between the "Tool Options" panel and the floating panel (eg. Font Name, Size, Color).

Some options, though, are only available in one of the panels (e.g. "Kerning" is only in the floating panel).
Why?

In addition, some options that appear in both panels don't have the same output. I believe it's because the
floating panel operates on the selection, whereas the "Tool Options" panel operates on the whole text.
However, it can be very confusing. For instance:

a. Create a new text
b. Modify the size in the "Tools Options" panel (by either entering a number and pressing Enter, or scrolling
with your mouse wheel)
-> the text size changes (OK)
-> the value also changes in the floating panel (OK)
c. Do the same as in step b. using the floating panel size
-> nothing happens (which is confusing because the text size option looks exactly the same in both panels)

Wouldn't it be easier to unify all the options in one panel, and, for instance, to remove the floating panel
entirely?

2. Floating panel does not include a quick font selector

As of today (GIMP 2.10.4), the floating panel only includes a text field, and you have to manually input the
name of the font you would like to use. Could this text field be changed to a drop-down menu? Or is it
possible to include the same "Font" button that is in the "Tools Options" panel?

3. Font button and font text field

Generally speaking, why are the two separated? Wouldn't it make more sense to only have one drop-down menu
where the user could preview the fonts, select them or look for them (by typing some letters)?

4. Floating panel on the edge of an image

If you create a text on the right edge of an image, the floating panel cannot be accessed. Even if you
middle-click and drag to reposition the canvas, in some instances you cannot access the whole floating panel
options.

This is a tricky situation that would require either very smart automatic-positioning, either allow the user
to manually drag this floating panel, either... getting rid of it entirely and put the options in the "Tool
Options" panel instead.

5. Text selection

After creating a text, if you select a part of it, each selected letter will be surrounded by a box. Is there
a rationale in using that method instead of the more common highlight [1]?

Thank you!

Depending on the output of this discussion, I will create issues in GIMP Gitlab project.

[1] Example (blue highlight): https://i.stack.imgur.com/HooG6.png

​--

Pierre