[Gimp-user] Drawn on the wrong layer

Hi
I am a new GIMP user and i was part way through a masterpiece however i noticed
that i had drawn part of my drawing on my photo layer. Now whenever i try to
select the paintbrush strokes that i have done it selects the photo aswel and i
can not seem to separate them. Is this possible to do as i have drawn a fair bit
of detail on the photo layer and i would love to avoid having to do it all again
if possible. Is there any way to just select the things you have added to the
original photo?

Please help

--
Jemjem (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)