Re: [Gimp-user] Help

JLopez,

That's a fairly open-ended request as "damage" can cover a great variety of
things. May I recommend several things you can look at to get a sense for
the variety of approaches one can take for "damage" in digital images:

A technique for dealing with physical damage, e.g., scratches, etc., is the
wavelet-decompose tool. The idea behind it is that damage may be limited to
certain ranges of an image's detail. Wavelet-decompose breaks an image into
a specified set detail levels allowing you to work on them in isolation.
Pat David's tutorials show how this is done. It is the *primary* took I
used in my own work in "fixing" old family photographs many of which are
covered in fine cracks/scratches. It is time-intensive but can yield
remarkable results, sometimes magical results!

https://patdavid.net/2014/07/wavelet-decompose-again.html

A more general book, not as in-depth as one might wish but which covers a
more broad set of "damage" including color issues, is this book which is
also GIMP specific (unlike most other books that are Photoshop specific).

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/beginning-photo-retouching-and-restoration-using-gimp-phillip-whitt/1120375741/2677353755024?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_New+Marketplace+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP164949&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1afSBRD2ARIsAEvBsNlM8cipvQKf7U99OvLua-GcR8Z-JbzO5GC4VDPyGUA7ES6GB682M24aAvh0EALw_wcB

The Bible of these types of guides is Ctein's "Digital Restoration ..." --
it is, unfortunately, a Photoshop book and thus it's not possible to map
the techniques used to GIMP use. Also, the author makes a fair number of
assumptions about Photoshop knowledge, so that it is not always clear what
he's doing. But the range of techniques he uses will give you a good
understanding of the may ways one can approach fixing "damage"
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Restoration-Start-Finish-Photographs/dp/1138940259/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1514826231&sr=1-1&keywords=ctein

Hope this helps some -- really, really recommend Pat David's blog. He as
many well written, informative guides for all sorts of things which you
might adapt for your particular needs.

Follows are links to a variety of sources I've saved over the years into
Evernote. You may find useful things here for the types of damage your
photo has:

https://brainbyproduct.wordpress.com/2007/07/09/even-better-healing-without-the-magic-tool/
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8020
http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/28265-removing-scratches-from-old-bw-photo/
https://hubpages.com/art/Gimp-tutorial-for-the-Wavelet-Decompose-plug-in
http://www.graphics.com/article/removing-spots-dust-and-scratches-photographs-gimp
https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/fixing-a-blotchy-sky-in-photoshop.382098/
http://phototechmag.com/color-correction-made-easier/
http://www.graphics.com/article/removing-spots-dust-and-scratches-photographs-gimp
https://digital-photography-school.com/precise-color-cast-correction-with-gray-fill-layers/
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6505
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13181
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvA9KmLg7sY <-- Pat David again, on image
damage correction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYWy-w2x9c <-- More image damage correction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr692iyYBUI  <-- excellent color cast
correction

So, that's a lot of stuff, but there is no single technique that will fix
all damage. You'll likely find you need to do different things for
different reasons -- I know that's ambiguous, but it's also unfortunately
almost as surely true for your image as it was for all of my images.

Regards,

Guy S.

Guy Stalnaker
jimmyg521 gmail com