Re: [Gimp-user] Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

On 02/12/18 06:29, FangoWolf wrote:

In case this helps others, this happened to me.  I had a rectangle selected on a
different layer.  Turn rectangle on and click a spot on the current layer and
then back to pencil.

You don't select "on another layer" since the selection is image-wide. When you have a selection, most tools apply to those pixels of the active layer that are also covered by the selection mask. Of course this assumes that these two have a  non-empty intersection.