[Gimp-user] Colour Profiles, RGB and convert to PNG

Hi All

I am trying to convert a jpg to png. I want to remove the background colour. My usual method of doing this to Colour to Alpha but the selection is greyed out. When I open the jpg it asks me whether I want to convert to RGB working space. It has a colour profile embedded in. Is it possible to remove this or convert the image to png in a different way please? Thanks

--
Kind Regards
This message was brought to you by the numbers 0 and 1.