[Gimp-user] Best way to fix background pic so text is readable

That will be better. Even better if the text is on a separate layer?
Assuming that it is not.

You can isolate the text by selecting it, then inverting the selection
and painting around it.

Try something like this. Using your jpeg scaled up 400% so a bit
fuzzy.

Use the colour select tool and increase the threshold up to maybe 30.
Click inside the black text to select.  see screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/Ax0FPTk.jpg

Now grow the selection a pixel or 2 to make sure make sure the text
outline is inclusive. screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/JZAyJ5k.jpg

Invert the selection Select -> Invert.

I would use the clone tool to clone in adjacent light areas
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-clone.html  - not the best
description in the world.

Use a fuzzy brush with suitable size, ctrl-click to select a (light
color) source. Then just paint over the dark area around the text.
https://i.imgur.com/7zSCkMc.jpg The active selection prevents painting
out the text.

You can repeat for the other areas. https://i.imgur.com/bwy3HgJ.jpg
choosing a new clone source for each.

When complete kill the selection Select -> None. You might still have
to go in at high zoom and 'tweak' parts of the text to improve
legibility. Depends how keen you are.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

I have 18 file versions of my project and the most current file version #18 is
not working at all using the clone tool. Yet if I open an older file version
#14, clone works fine. I have both 14+18 open and can use the top thumbnails to
switch between the 2 and can't figure out why it doesn't work on 18.

I'm careful to select the pic layer so it's the active layer. In the layer view
I know there's a pixel lock, but it's not engaged for any of my layers, yet it's
behaving like there is a lock on any pixel changes. Do you have an idea on
what's going on?

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)