[Gimp-user] GIMP & RAW

I’m very new to GIMP & this forum, slowly getting to grips with it
(thanks to ‘How to Gimp’ & YouTube). However I’m experiencing one
problem & I’m sure that this question has probably been asked several
times before; how can I connect Gimp 2.8 & UFRaw?
I have 2 RAW formats, Canon (CR2) & Panasonic (RW2). I ticked the
boxes that were available when I downloaded UFRaw but in GIMP when I
try to open an image in the folder where there are RAW files, nothing
is shown to open. Conversely, in UFRaw, I can open RAW images but it
won’t pass them to GIMP! However, one I opened an image in UFRaw,
changed some settings (trial & error) then closed the image. Somehow,
ay a later date I found that in GIMP I had the corrected image with
the suffix .ppm. I don’t remember what I did!
If someone could help or point me in the right direction I would be
very grateful as I don’t want to keep working in jpeg

UFraw is now quite old and there is an updated version nUFraw. AFAIK both fail
to send the opened RAW image to the Windows version of Gimp, Which you have
discovered.

Then there is the version of Gimp. Gimp 2.8.x operates in 8 bit per channel, to
get the best out of your RAW images, 16 bit is better. You get 16 bit with the
development version Gimp 2.9.x

The next issue is operating system. For linux you can compile from code, or if
using one of the 'buntus there is a ppa. Also a portable Gimp 2.9.x 'appimage'
which might work.

For Windows, it is a little more difficult, again compile yourself or there is a
precompiled standalone see:
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15301#p211428 which details some of the
problems.

A much, much, easier way for Windows is Gimp 2.9.6 from www.partha.com which
comes with nUFraw pre-installed. This will co-exist with your existing Gimp so
nothing is lost.

The screenshot shows this version and a panasonic .rw2 opened. Click the 'save'
and the image is sent to Gimp.  Recommend going that route.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/721/original/nufraw.jpg

--