[Gimp-user] Is a high bit depth monitor worth getting? (was Re: emerge --emptytree : how to ?)

On 2017-10-20 12:01 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
I'm considering buying a new monitor (and graphics card) which supports
10 bits per color channel.
Will Gimp on a Linux machine (X11) support this now or in the near future.
Or is it just waste of money to buy a monitor with more than 8 bits/color channel?

GIMP is moving towards higher colour depth. Would a high bit depth monitor be worth it? That would depend on your use case(s). Is GIMP the only program you would run that would benefit from a high bit depth monitor? Do you run other programs that would benefit from such a monitor? Will your computers graphical environment (aka. desktop) support full use of a high bit depth monitor?

--
Cheers!

Kevin.