[Gimp-user] Adding color to file

Sometimes wonder about this mailing list format.
Guessing that the line drawing is faint and the multiply operation is
to make the outline darker. No need to set the base layer to multiply,
it has nothing to act on. As an alternative, have you tried Filters ->
Generic -> Erode which shrinks lighter areas, making the lines more
distinct, or Color -> color Curve and pull the curve down and to the
right, that often works.
I can not reproduce that.
First the PDF, which might contain vector objects incl text which can
be scaled to any size. Equally might contain an embedded bitmap which
has an original pixels-per-inch (ppi). Low resolution original then
scaling that up will degrade the line drawing in Gimp.

Next, Gimp will by default use 100 ppi when importing a PDF. It is up
to you to set the ppi value in the import dialogue.  ***Warning*** a
24" x 36" image @ 300 ppi is seriously large (see screenshot). A
poster-size image rarely needs printing at a photographic quality 300
ppi. Depending on viewing distance, a rough guide is ppi =
1/((distance-in-inches x 0.000291) / 2) which for about 6 foot is 95
ppi.

What you need to do is ***ask the printing company*** for their
requirements. They want a monster image like a hole-in-the-head.

FWIW, my advice, import the PDF with say, 150 ppi. It will still be a
large size in memory maybe 500-600 MB) but not unmanageable.  Save in
Gimp xcf format. Save frequently, careful when saving, make sure the
save procedure completes or you might lose it. Lots of solid colour
compresses well so a final export as png and the file will be much
smaller. Need a PDF for the printing company, very popular these days.
Open your png file, export as a PDF.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks for the replies!

If it's printed, it will be at 24"x36", but since it's an architectural
elevation, the lines are heavy and there's no need for 300 dpi (probably half
that, or 200). if I scale it up to 200, then look at it on the screen at 100%,
it starts to blur when I scroll in close.

--
sl60 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)