[Gimp-user] Using the Gradient tool

I'm locked into Photoshop until I can figure out how to use the gradient tool.
I shoot catalog work, and I want to use GIMP and the Linux platform.  However PS
has me locked into the windows world.

I shoot everything on a white background.  Sometimes it's not as white as I
want, and I need to tweak the corners.  In PS I use the gradient tool, in the
fashion of ForeGround  [white] to transparent at around 75% opacity.

I allows me to add a bit of white in the corners by dragging from the outside of
the image to just inside it.

How can this be done efficiently using GIMP.  Minimal steps required is a bonus.

Thank you

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)