Re: [Gimp-user] [Gimp-gui] GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

* Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven <joshua feedbackfoundation org uk> [05-08-17 12:06]:
Hi all,

GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its identity
to something more likeable will help to get more users, and potentially more
developers.

There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not Pixi.
This makes sense, as long as the software remains a pixel-based editor. I've
thought about the name for a while, before google came out with their latest
phone!

The logo could also feature some kind of pixelated pixi type character
(think a stylised zelda character), to replace to paintbrush-dog, which
seems to not have much in connection with the name gimp.... or am I missing
something?

Be interested to know your thoughts,

google for "gimp name change" and you will find your answer.

Yeah, it's in there:

https://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-user lists xcf berkeley edu/msg11119.html

Long story short, all of the GIMP maintainers and a large number of GIMP
users are "computer people."  We are comfortable with acronyms, and the
acronym for a program whose full name was General Image Manipulation
Program and later GNU Image Manipulation Program doesn't bother us at all.

If anything, this "not a great name" suits the moronic sense of humor
that is every computer geek's birthright.  (Yes, I said geek and I meant
it.)

The GIMP has been around under that name for going on 20 years.  Its
user base has grown exponentially worldwide, and the tool kit itself is
standing on the brink of a quantum leap in capabilities.  I see no signs
that its name, which has positive brand recognition across a very large
community of users, has held back the GIMP's market penetration in the
least.  At this time, a name change would be actively harmful to long
established organic promotion that works very well.

BTW, "paintbrush-dog"?  His name is Wilbur and he is not a dog.  As a
student of marketing a.k.a. propaganda, I don't care what you say about
Wilbur as long as you spell his name right.

:o)