[Gimp-user] New user question- fitting canvas to layers

I added a new layer to my file and I tried to change the layer to image size
to accommodate it but all I get is a transparent increase in the canvas size
that only shows part of the image. How do i show the whole image? (please
don't get technical on me- I have no idea what I'm doing!!) Also, I'm on a
Mac.