[Gimp-user] invert not working

Thanks for answering, Rich. I very much realize I have much to learn
to use Gimp. I have used Photoshop a bit, by getting the free trial a
couple of times. Inverts basic meaning, to turn in, is actually very
similar to flip, the movement can be horizontal or vertical, e.g. to
invert a series of numbers is to put them in the opposite order. If
there had been any visual difference when I applied invert, I would
have seen I needed something else (why it seems to do nothing still
puzzles me). I do indeed mean to mirror the image. I looked up flip,
saw the next step to take and had success, thanks.

The image I want to extend the background on is complicated — a
blacksmith in front of a large forge. For the image to work, the fire
needs to stay the size it is, while extending everything else. This
would enable type to be more easily read —  around the fire, instead
of across it. It looked do-able using LqR. Thanks for a possible other
source. I gathered there is another, more complicated way to
accomplish the feat but LqR appeared pretty simple to use for this.

With a small image (credits on the image) plucked from the internet flipping an
image is straightforward

see: http://i.imgur.com/q1NHxFx.jpg

1. Use the flip tool

2. Make sure you are on the active layer with **No** active selection.

3. Need to be on the layer mode and select either Horizontal or vertical

4. Probably the bit you are missing, click on the canvas to implement.

gives this http://i.imgur.com/sB48eLV.jpg

Just a caveat, I use linux so I cannot demo anything 'Mac' However I can do a
little research and the McGimp 2.8.14 from www.partha.com does include many
extras including the liquid-rescale plugin. Worth trying because it also
includes other scripts and plugins such as heal-selection.

In my linux Gimp using liquid rescale might go something like this

http://i.imgur.com/th7NuUv.jpg giving this http://i.imgur.com/qC2Qr3T.jpg

It all depends on the image and the amount of re-sizing. For small-ish amounts,
sometimes possible to re-size the canvas, copy and paste a strip back in and a
bit touching up.

quick try: http://i.imgur.com/8g5qbzz.jpg Again, no hard and fast rules, all
depends on the image/requirements.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net