Re: [Gimp-user] Certification plans

On 06/19/2017 01:06 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:
Here's one:

https://learning.naukri.com/gimp-tutorial-certification-course-v272

Daniel Smith pointed it out in a reply that came to me but not the list;
that might have been an error.

It looks legit to me; the course outline is more or less what I would
have come up with if asked to design one.

:o)

We should also mentioned Scribus, the major Free Software desktop
publishing application.  IMO a GIMP user certification program should
include a unit on using Scribus:  Unless an image is intended for use on
a website or in a word processor document, page layout and export to a
print ready file format (normally PDF) is the necessary final stage of
image production, even if only to test color rendering and make "contact
sheet" indexes of finished images.  Scribus is very simple and easy to
use, although as with any tool it takes a little tinkering and getting
used to.

I should also mention Inkscape, the major Free Software vector graphics
editor.  Applications for vector graphic formats include offset
printing, posters and signage, and any context where really precise
manipulation of text (font) content or line drawings is needed.  Vector
format image content scales to any size with no loss of resolution,
hence the name of the SVG "scalable vector graphic" file format.  Image
content that is frequently reused in many contexts, i.e. company logos,
should be designed as vector graphics to begin with; otherwise, it will
be necessary to re-create them as such sooner or later.  Inkscape can
export vector images to PNG, JPG, EPS, etc.

This online program offers a "certificate of completion" that makes it
the closest thing to Inkscape user certification I found in a quick web
search:

http://www.trainingcenter.com/inkscape

Anyone who can only edit raster graphics (i.e. GIMP) or vector graphics
(i.e. Inkscape) is only half a general purpose graphics production worker.

:o)