[Gimp-user] Gimp does not recognize - will not open NEF Raw files from a Nikon D5500 Camera

 I sent an email the other day covering this topic, but did not properly explain my situation.1. I use
Nikon's free VIEWNX 2 viewer to perform basic editing functions on NEF files.  Works well and am pleased with
it.2. However, I want to be able to perform advanced editing functions that VIEWNX 2 does not support, but
GIMP and Lightroom 6 apparently do support;   They are:     a. Perform batch processing:  Edit one of several
pictures then combine the edits to the other pictures.     b. Do Layering / Masking:  Want to do this to
perform the following:          b1. Create a long exposure during the daytime without using ND filters.
   b2. Create HDR pictures by combining bracketed pictures.So far the replies indicate GIMP cannot handle
Nikon's NEF raw files.  Is anyone aware of a work around for this in GIMP, or do I have to pay about $142.00
for Lightroom 6 which apparently can handle the NEF file format?
I do appreciate the previous replies and will appreciate any reply to this email.Thanks:Chuck
Devlincfdevlin01 yahoo com