[Gimp-user] Move tool locks; what's triggering it?

I have repeatedly had the recent problem in 2.8 on a Windows 10 machine, that in
the midst of editing a photo, the move tool gets selected and "locks,"
preventing any other action whatsoever in GIMP -- nothing I have tried releases
it, and the only way to stop it is to use Task Manager to close the application
altogether. Keyboard shortcuts to close, the X, etc. do not work.

I would truly like to know what is triggering this, whether it is a known
problem, and what I can do other than press Ctrl+S after every blessed edit. I
have seen some years-old posts from previous versions of some variants of this
but that's all I have found.

Thanks.

--
OldPhotog (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)