Re: [Gimp-user] When black and white is not black and white

Liam R E Quin writes:
I don't know of any accessibility checkers for GIMP; there are
PhotoShop plugins. It'd be a good Google Summer of Code project I
suppose, if that's still going. I might even be able to drum up some
funding for work in the area, and/or technical resources.

There's View->Display Filters, "Color Deficient Vision".

That's just one type, and there are lots of different variants
of color vision. I think I've seen other GIMP color filters but
don't have a specific reference, but a web search of
GIMP color-blind
gets some hits that might lead to more filters.

Because of the differences in people's vision, I don't think it matters
which method is used to convert.

+1. It's amazing how much color vision varies among people. We think
"green" is an obvious concept that means the same thing to everyone,
but even among people with "normal" vision, color perception varies
tremendously.

And think of Ansel Adams and all his work in the darkroom. There is
no one "correct" black and white version of a scene; the art is in
creating the one that shows what you want to show.

        ...Akkana