[Gimp-user] 3D Text to infinity

Hello Rich,

Your example picture looks perfect! Did you work from a tutorial to
accomplish that, and if so do you have the URL?

If not, would you mind outlining the steps you used? Im about to
search for both the softwares you suggested.

Failing of mine, I never save anything. ArtOfIllusion is a java application, so
you do need java installed if using Windows. Which is why I mentioned Blender,
there is a large community of Blender users who might help.

Briefly

Make some text with a large thickness. http://i.imgur.com/Anz1eZO.jpg

Move / Rotate the object and camera to get a suitable camera view.
http://i.imgur.com/OetUlkL.jpg

Throw in some more lights, maybe add a texture although can be left grey and
coloured in in Gimp: http://i.imgur.com/IwdXmcV.jpg

Render as a single image with a transparent background
http://i.imgur.com/6pWpFNe.jpg

Minute 30 secs to render at that size, save as a png. Ready to open in Gimp and
finish off. http://i.imgur.com/M4t9RpS.jpg

Not easy for a beginner, only something I drag out when all else fails.

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)