Re: [Gimp-user] CMYK color editing

Sean Greenhlgh wrote:
I work in the print world. And wanted to know if you guys are planning
on adding CMYK color modes to the software. Open source and free
software is the future, and it would be really cool to get this going
and off the ground. If some designers started using it, we could get,
many, many users, using it.

For printing of photos edited in GIMP we recommend adopting a color
management workflow with late binding to CMYK by adopting
PDF/X[1] worflows [2]. GIMP is already used successfully by many users
with such workflows.

For cases where late binding workflows are not possible the GIMP 2.10 series
will hopefully gain both support for and good control over CMYK separation when
exporting for instance to TIFF; integrating functionality that currently is
possible with additional third party GIMP plug-ins.

There might be future improvements to how GIMP deals non-RGB data in the 3.x
series or beyond, probably including direct support for
opening/importing CMYK files
without a conversion to RGB - adding such capabilities should be more
easily possible
now that image processing is abstracted away and encapsulated in GEGL ops.

When it comes to more radical departures from RGB, I've personally worked on,
and have plans for continued work on code experiments with color that eventually
might lead to CMYK being just one of possible sets of plate configuration for
process inks / spot-colors / paints used for any simulated duo, tri,
quad(or more)-tone
print plate configuration for various colored substrates - using
spectral characterisation
along the lines of [3].

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/X
2: https://www.scribus.net/svn/Scribus/trunk/Scribus/doc/en/pdfx3.html