[Gimp-user] Can't edit text xcf copied to new file

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been asked but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

My problem is that I did a TV poster that contains an image, the TV show's title
(text layer) and season number (text layer). I wanted to reuse the season text
layer over and over so saved it as a separate xcf file hoping to copy it on each
new poster I create such that I only have to change the # and don't have to keep
retying "Season" which would mean selecting the font type, color and size again
on each new poster.

It worked great to copy it to a new file but I can't edit the text. Gimp doesn't
seem to recognize it as a text layer. The steps I took are: 1. I copied the xcf
as a new layer in my new file then 2. Selected the layer then 3. Selected the
text editing tool but I can't edit the text. I can however re-edit the original
xcf I created so as a workaround I have re-edited my original xcf and then
copied that into my new file but this is not ideal.

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to copy a text layer that has
been saved as an xcf to a new file and edit it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.

--
Karen00 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)