[Gimp-user] how to darken bright areas

I have several hundred World War One era photographs I am working with
that my grandfather took during his service with the Army Medical
Corps. I have no negatives so I am working with nearly 100 year old
B&W prints. I have scanned all of these but my scans have problems,
one major is discussed here with the hope of getting some suggestions.
...big snip....

Apart from anything else is there a reason for the sample image to be color
indexed mode?

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)