[Gimp-user] Print issue

[This started out life as a Bug Report, until I came to the conclusion that I myself was the bug...]

When I went to print a document (basically a blank schedule of a matrix of blocks, with the days of the week
above), it came out too small, and was across the page, instead of down.
When I went to Image->Printsize, it showed an 11 x 8.5 inch Print Size (which I am now guessing is the paper
size, and not the image size), with a Resolution of 300 pixels/inch x/y (chained). This was just what I
expected/wanted.
But when I went to File->Print, the Page Setup tab showed Portrait orientation, and the Image Settings tab
showed a resolution of about 412 pixels/inch, with a size of about 8 x 6 inches.

I think it reduced the length to fit on the portrait-sized width, and did not adjust it when I changed from
Portrait to Landscape.

I altered the resolution to 300 (which it changed to 323.810), and the dimensions changed to 10.191 x 7.875,
which fit very nicely on the page.

These alterations remained when I shut GIMP down and started it up.

When I printed this before (as a .jpeg, from eog), I don't remember if I had to change the orientation or
not, but the image printed about the way GIMP did, without needing to change the resolution (assuming that
that can be done from eog - which I don't know...).

I guess the orientation is my "fault", as how does GIMP know what way I want it printed...  except that
without fiddling with the resolution, it could not fit as portrait.  Some sort of message that it will not
fit with the given orientation, or perhaps if it calculates that it would fit as landscape, it could
automatically print it that way...

It seems that the decision was made at some point just to silently fiddle with the resolution if an image
won't fit entirely on the given page size, in the given orientation.

Perhaps, given the fact that there is a preview, it was thought that one can see immediately if the paper is
the wrong way, or whatever, but when the print dialoge comes up, one does not see a previuw unless the Image
Settings tab is selected.  I didn't realize there was a "problem" until I printed the page, and it came out
differenly than I expected.

Perhaps, for the sake of saving silly people like me from making the mistake I made, the Preview could be
made to be always displayed, so that an orientation/size problem could be seen immediately...

What do other people think?

scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ uname -a
Linux scott-ASUS-M2N68-AM-PLUS 4.8.0-37-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 26 02:27:07 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ lsb_release -dsc
Ubuntu 16.10
yakkety
scott@scott-ASUS-M2N68-AM-PLUS:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
Lubuntu

GIMP 2.8.18
[I tried GIMP 2.9.5 under WINE, from DarkRefraction, but selecting Print caused GIMP to hang.
I don't know if I need to install some Windows-related Print application, or what...]