[Gimp-user] changing canvas size and ImageWidth and ImageHeight jpeg properties

First I am new to using gimp. So please bear with me.
I have taken a jpeg picture which had a width of 979 and height of 698
I then added some text outside the current canvas across the bottom. I kept the
text shorter than the width.
I then use the image->fit canvas to layer command and the canvas size increased
to include the text I added. The increased part of the canvas was checkerboard
indicating transparent and that caused issues depending on the view I used. That
may have been only on .tif files and not jpeg.

I then used the image-> flatten image command to hopefully remove the
transparent part of the canvas. Visually the checkerboard went away with my text
being on a solid background.

I then overwrote the file with the file command.

Now if I look at the canvas size it is 979 x 758 which is an increase of 60
which is about right for the .15" text I added.

I wrote a perl script to look at the jpeg ImageHeight and ImageWidth attribute
values. When I do this with the  image I get 979 and 698, which is the original
values,  rather than 979 and 758.

Is something wrong with the process or is it a gimp problem or ??

Beyond an answer to the above my end goal at this point is to adjust 400
pictures to have a 4x6  or 6x4 aspect ration by adjusting the canvas size and
not by cropping the current picture. I may be missing a way to do this that is
hopefully easy.

--
WarrenDodge (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)