[Gimp-user] 16bit colors in GIMP 2.9. Python??

I'm trying to write a script that'll generate 16-bit heightmap data from 2-color
"voxel stacks" using GIMP 2.9 (from partha's place). Is it possible to assign
16-bit color data using a Python script, or anywhere in GIMP?? It seems like,
despite technically supporting 16-bit data, none of the colour tools have been
updated to allow us to actually use them. Am I wrong in this?

--
kaldrax (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)