[Gimp-user] Any way to set a layer to be semi transparent?

Open the Layers dialog ("Windows/Dockable Dialogs/Layers"), left-click on the
relevant layer in the Layers dialog to make it active then set the "Opacity"
field near the top of the layers dialog.

I'm an ex Photoshop user who does astrophotography (AP).  In AP we
frequently shoot a number of photos that we then stack in layers to
reduce noise or create color channels.  One problem with stacking is
that the sky may move between photos. (It's called field rotation.)
This can be corrected if the stack is aligned properly.  While
Photoshop has a number of automated stitching techniques available, I
can't find any of these in GIMP.

I could manually align layers in stacks if I could reduce the
transparency of one layer relative to the layer below it.  Is this
possible?

--
programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)