Re: [Gimp-user] Redesign "move selection"?

________________________________
From: gimp-user-list <gimp-user-list-bounces gnome org> on behalf of Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre
prokoudine gmail com>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 4:41 PM
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Redesign "move selection"?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Ages ago, click-drags did move the selection content without additional
modifier keys.

But we got complaints that it is far too easy to accidentally move this
selected content by minute amounts and not even notice this. So it got
changed to the current behavior.

And I can't help myself wondering if that was a case of a vocal
minority affecting a design decision that now irritates a vocal
majority :)

Alex

Oh, boy, THIS subject.  Where my workflow is concerned this was the BIGGEST breaking change GIMP ever made --
yes, even bigger than when 2.8 split Save and Export.  (And we remember all the complaints over that, right?)

I am one of those where when I no-modifier click and drag a selection my preferred action is to pick up those
pixels and move them around (rather than shifting the mask).  It is ... a minimum of annoying that we have
zero means of configuring GIMP to match our workflow in this respect.

While the decision to change it was definitely made in good faith, I wonder if it was made largely because
(1) it was easy to remap how the selection tools handle modifiers, and (2) a lack of proposed alternatives?

The first (and most obvious) alternative is to make this behavior a user configurable option in the GIMP
preferences -- like we already have for whether the Move tool should default to picking to moving (I prefer
picking).

A second alternative would be to give the selection tools a sensitivity threshold -- i.e. you must click and
drag the cursor a minimum # of screen pixels before the tool will start the drag action.  I wonder if this
could have solved most of those accidental microadjustments people complained about in GIMP 2.2 without
introducing a breaking change....

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com