[Gimp-user] Is it possible to save layer effects

I'm using Linux exclusively.  I'm learning GIMP again and am really happy with
the layer FX and other filters, especially.  GIMP is great depth.

I have Photoshop Elements 10, can't get it to work properly in Wine or Crossover
(type tool issues, porting over other .asl files, opening some .psd files but
not others).  I prefer not to use it in Windows, which I could boot into,
because it's... Windows HA!

In GIMP, is there any way at all to save layer effects that I've used, so that I
can use them again?  It's something that I often have need of.  Currently, I'm
creating a text file, for each instance, that lists settings for bevel, drop
shadow, colour, etc.  It would be great if there were a work-around for this.

From my reading I've learned that there isn't a macro-recorder sort of thing,
and I'm not sure if a script would work, even if I were able to create something
like that at this point.

I've done a lot of searching, and finally decided to go to the source :)

TIA,

--
calcat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)