[Gimp-user] Can't open extremely large .PNG

Does anyone know any tricks on how to resize extremely large images? I
can't even open this computer generated .PNG. It's about 1 GB in size
and I tried various tools so far to resize it. None of them can even
open it. There must be some trick I can use?

Hate this mailing list format

However scaling down a very large image can be done using an application nip2.

see: http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS

I have not tried this in Windows, I use linux.
Windows versions can be found at
http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/current/win32/
Despite the "/win32" the zips are named "_w64", so I assume 64 bit. no
installer, unpacks to folders.

For this demo (in linux) scaling a 1197 MB png to a 20 MB jpg.

https://youtu.be/76Xn5BIrl2Y 4 minutes

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)