[Gimp-user] Why does Gimp automatically change my specified dimensions?

I'm running Gimp 2.8.16 on Windows 10.  When creating a new image or resizing a
current one, and I enter the dimensions for length and width, Gimp keeps
changing the fractional part of the units I enter.  For example, if I enter
48.000cm x 46.000cm, it changes it to 48.006cm x 45.999cm.  What gives?  It
doesn't do this with some units of measure, but it does for others.

See attachment

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/336/original/Capture.PNG

--