[Gimp-user] Replace Gold Splotches

Can someone tell me if/how I can use Gimp to replace the goldish
splotches with my own pattern? I've been able to get the pattern into
Gimp. But can't figure out if I can replace the splotches and dots
with it. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Not the easiest to either color-select or create a mask, due to the 'pattern'
effect in the gold.

A quick way

Covert the image to indexed mode with a reduced palette - say 16 colours.

Edit the colormap to remove the gold-ish colors. There is about  6 of them.

Put the mode back to RGB.

There is still a scattering of light colored pixels in the background, use
Filters -> generic -> erode to shrink to nothing.

The grey lettering can be improved a little, color select, grow a pixel, fill
the selection with the grey.

The the black 'boutique' is the same as the background, put it in manually in
some other colour.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/329/original/via-indexed.jpg