Re: [Gimp-user] Replace Gold Splotches

On Wed, 2016-11-16 at 17:44 +0100, lanierprintables wrote:
Can someone tell me if/how I can use Gimp to replace the goldish
splotches with
my own pattern?

One way might be to use select by colour (shift-O) on the gold until
you have all of it. You might need to deselect the human outline on the
left. To do that,
(1) in tool options, with select-by-colour active, reduce the threshold
probably to 1 or 2
(2) hold control down and click in that outline, on one of the whitish
lines.
This may leave 1-pixel holes in the selection of the gold. That's OK,
grow your selection by 1 pixel. select->grow.

Now feather the selection by 1 pixel (select->feather) to blur the
edges slightly.

Now, if you have your patten as a layer in the image below the main
part, edit->cut will make holes in the top layer and you'll see through
to the pattern. If it just makes the gold solid background colour,
undo, show the layers dock (control-l), right-click on the layer's name
and "add alpha channel" which is gimp-jargon for "allow transparency on
this layer". Then do the cut again.

An alternative is to use the bucket fill tool and fill with pattern.
You can have the pattern open as anothe image and do edit->select all
(control-a) and then edit->copy (control-c), and then go back to the
main image and one of the patterns in the Tool Options dock for the
bucket fill tool will be the clipboard.

Liam

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/325/original/icm_fullxf