[Gimp-user] Need help with transparency

Hello

Just downloaded GIMP yesterday and I need help with transparency

In the attachment, the little open area (that is white) I need it to be
transparent so I can see another numbered dial that it will go on top of.

I know nothing about image editing, so this is a big request and more than happy
and willing to do my homework.

Could someone break down how to make that little area transparent (while keeping
all the icons and lettering on the dial remain white)?

Thank you

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/245/original/base.png

--