[Gimp-user] I need help with gimp 2.8

Hello my is Linda Littlepage and download gimp 2.8 form website here: https://www.gimp.org/ I am trying
fallow video How to Color using Gimp and can do the first few steps. But, when the video talks a normal mode
my gray out!and I can't get the drop down box. Like the person in the video is talk about in video. I try
several different YouTube. I have been able to completely full any videos all the way tho. I have window 8.1
64 bits. I don't think the Gimp software is working right? in my computer. Can someone help me with this?
thanks, Linda Littlepage