[Gimp-user] File Type Unknown

I need some serious help here.  I have used GIMP successfully on another
computer before, but since trying to install it on my new laptop, I haven't been
able to get it working.

Whenever I try to open any image file type, I get an error message back that
says:

"Opening '...' failed:

Unknown file type"

The "Open" dialog box does not even recognize .png or .jpeg files as image
files, and I can only view them when I select "All Files" in the drop down box.

I'm not extremely computer savvy, but I've been doing some of my own research
into the problem.  It's possible that I've already seen solutions that would
solve my problem, but I was not able to understand them.

Here is what I've tried:

Uninstall and re-install (various versions)

Uninstall, delete every file on my computer with "gimp" in the name, then
reinstall

Going into preferences and confirming that the paths for plug-ins are right

I've run gimp-console-2.8 in cmd, and it just came up with endless errors
reading:

"GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in "..."
(...)

Failed to execute child process (Permission denied)"

What can I do to fix this?

--
koalaballah (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)