Re: [Gimp-user] Next gotcha

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 5:32 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett shentel net> wrote:
Greetings all

I did, after 20 minutes of screwing around, finally get it to use a
selected foreground color for the text.

But when I hit the help menu, up pops the help for 2.6!  So I fire up
synaptic and check to see if I am out of date, because the "context
help" doesn't work at all.  Yup, I'm up to date allright, got gimp-2.8.2
but the doc files are for 2.6.x.  Debian wheezy at your service, NOT.

I don't even have the help files installed. 8-<

Look for the package for the help files in synaptic or from the
command line and update that manually.

Anyway, the next problem is that I can't find a tool that will let me
draw freehand lines so I can make a few arrows that point from a line of
text to a feature in the image.  Or maybe even draw a balloon around the
text pointing at the feature.

There's a pen tool in there that I'm still trying to figure out how to
use. It's for constructing "paths". Ignore it for now.

Airbrush, paintbrush, pencil, stamp, etc. Except, ...

Did this train lose its conductor a few stops back?  Or how can I back it
up to when it Just Worked(TM) quite a bit of the time?

I'm guessing what you've bumped into is the problem of selecting which
layer you want to draw into. If you can bring up the widget that shows
your layer list, it's a lot easier to navigate the layers. Otherwise,
you have to kind of intuit which layer you are currently in and use
the layer menu stuff to shift between them.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist: