[Gimp-user] optimize images for 16 bit high color graphic cards, how?

I have been googling about this the whole day-but in my case i don't have
16 bits per base color, i have 16 bits for the whole color. Anyway, from
the beginning:
I need to create images in png format for a customers terminal application
wichtig uses an old high-color video card. This means max 6 bits per color.
When I display the images i created there is a LOT of dithering etc.
Is there a way to create optimized images for this in gimp? How?

Thanks in advance for your help!