[Gimp-user] Need help with lighting effect

..snip...
Now, the topic of the hour: I've been trying for the past hour to add
a lighting effect filter to this icon that I'm making.  As you can see
in the snapshot, there is a flashlight in it, so my goal here is to
use the lighting effects to intensify the light being shown on the
girl in the red dress.

IMHO not the correct tool, and even then not the way to use it, although every
image has its own requirements.

One way to try.

Duplicate the layer

Put the top layer into screen mode, that reinforces the colours.

Now add a black layer mask and paint in white with a fuzzy brush over the beam
of light. That isolates that area.

If you need more brightness.  Click in the image icon (right side image - left
side layer mask) and adjust the layer brightness Colors -> Brightness - Contrast

example attached

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/423/original/layermode.jpg