Re: [Gimp-user] Suggestion for dialog displayed on Gimp exit

Short answer: This dialog is used because there may potentially be more than one image open with unsaved
changes.

Long answer: First, a few questions...

1 - Are you running GIMP in single-window mode or not?
2 - How many image windows did you have open?
3 - What command/shortcut did you use to close the window and/or exit GIMP?

Because here's the scenarios that may be in play:

1 - If you are simply closing the window, then in single-window mode this is interpreted as exiting GIMP
entirely while in multiple-window mode it is interpreted as closing only that window (not exiting GIMP).
2 - In multiple window mode, when you close the last open image GIMP does not exit at this time but instead
leaves behind an empty placeholder window (in case you need to open a new image, etc.).  You have to close
the empty window to actually exit GIMP.
3 - If you have multiple image windows open and you try to close all windows and/or exit GIMP, there may be
more than one image open with unsaved changes.  This is why the particular dialog shows a list of open images
and only has choices to discard all changes or cancel.

However, I do agree that the current logic is flawed and needs discussion -- the following points in
particular:

- In single-window mode, multiple images are displayed as a row of tabs (comparable to Internet browsers);
however, when only one image is open the tab bar is not shown -- leaving the user without a VISIBLE button to
close only that window (because hitting the standard Close button will exit GIMP entirely).  Yes there is the
menu command and the keyboard shortcuts work, but this is the touchscreen era.  Other applications handle
this scenario in various ways -- e.g. Firefox always displays the tab bar even when only one tab is open,
Office displays a secondary Close button on the right side of the menubar (distinct from the window's main
Close button).

- When only one image is open, regardless of whether the user is closing the window or exiting GIMP, GIMP
should ALWAYS use the single-image version of the "unsaved changes" prompt (i.e. save/discard/cancel) instead
of the multiple-images version (list of images, discard/cancel).

- The multiple-images version of the "unsaved changes" prompt should include, in its list of open images,
buttons to save the individual images directly from this prompt.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com