Re: [Gimp-user] Idea/Request: Fast start mode for GIMP

On 04/01/2016 12:16 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
On Thu, 2016-03-31 at 18:11 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:
On 03/31/2016 12:44 PM, dlen wrote:

FYI,

i just installed gimp v 2.8.16 64bit on a Dell e6520, i5, 4G RAM,
SSD and the
startup time is invaryingly, that means always, 3 minutes 20
seconds.Of this 3
minutes belong to querying plugins.
Lucky me:  I just clocked GIMP opening time at 45 seconds with:

GIMP 2.8.10, every plugin set in the Debian/Ubuntu repos and a /lot/
of brushes and fonts, on a system with a 64 bit AMD dual core CPU,
1.75 GB memory and the Mint 17 OS.

It takes between 10 and 13 seconds for gimp to start here on my laptop.
Intel i7 @ 1.73 GHz, 8G of RAM, SSD.
Both gimp-2.8.16 and git mistress from a day or two ago. Mageia
GNU/Linux "Cauldron" (Mageia 6 preview). Probably faster on my desktop
but I'm away at a conference in Toronto :-) (#techforum / #ebookcraft)

I have 125 or so scripts, over 7,000 fonts, but only a dozen or so
plug-ins, 12MBytes of brushes.

If it's taking 45 seconds or more on comporable or faster hardware it
might be something is wrong.

On my other system, presently down for maintenance (needs monitor)
with comparable specs and Mint 17, the current version of the GIMP
takes 45 seconds to one minute to open.

On a previous system, one core CPU, 3/4 GB memory and Mint 14, the
GIMP took 45 seconds to one minute to open.

On a one core Intel system with 1/2 GB memory and Windows XP SP3 (at
a previous employer's office), GIMP 1.6 took 45 seconds to one
minute to open.

On the ancient XP infested machine, I also ran into a problem where
it took several minutes for the GIMP to open.  I don't recall the
details except that it was a font cache problem, easily fixed once
diagnosed, restoring the 45 second to 1 minute loading time.

So either the slow loading GIMP experience is a fairly common thing,
or I am an amazing statistical outlier.

:o)