[Gimp-user] bewildered newbie query

i just installed gimp 2.8.

i downloaded a book in .gz which when unzipped yields 517 sequential .jp2
files (each sequential file of course yielding a page of the book). How can
I use gimp to open these .jp2 files sequentially?

I read that Irfanview would be capable but i can't figure out how to use
Irfanview so that it behaves: having to open open one page at a time, and
readjusting the view for each page, is a sure way to lose my mind.

other softwares claim to be able to handle .jp2 but they aren't able to do
it - or i'm doing something wrong.