Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP's "EGA" default palette (fwd)

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 16:03:49 +0200
From: 7eggert online de
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP's "EGA" default palette (fwd)

Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 10:21:58 -0300
From: "Joao S. O. Bueno" <gwidion mpc com br>
To: Richard <strata_ranger hotmail com>
Cc: "gimp-user-list gnome org" <gimp-user-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP's "EGA" default palette

Thanks.  I have never heard that before (and so far am unable to find any citations about it).

Now at the same time, clearly this is not the set of 16 colors by
which EGA is most commonly known.  Shouldn't we have a palette for that?
 ;)

I missed some postings, but I have documentation about EGA cards.

The colors were from a palette of 64 colors, with each bit corresponding
to a separate wire. Low-intensity colors have a high

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monochrome_and_RGB_palettes#6-bit_RGB

[ . . . ]

I have already read through that article (plus a few others on the matter).

And it only took a few minutes to set up my own .gpl palette with the 16- and 64-color CGA/EGA palettes,
before I originally posted the question.

I still wonder about the peculiar choice of hues in ega.gpl (yes you did cover that already, I just haven't
found anything to corroborate it) ... but for now I think to avoid personal confusion I'll just drop that
default palette from my GIMP setup.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com