Re: [Gimp-user] [Gimp-developer] Download

Thank you guys !

That was a quick answer ☺

Avishai.

From: C R [mailto:cajhne gmail com]
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 11:31 PM
To: Avishai Noygershel; gimp-developer-list gnome org; gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Download

Assuming this question is about if the GIMP software can be used to produce commercial content:
The answer to that is also yes.
GIMP is made available to everyone, for commercial or private use to produce graphics for commercial or
private use.

To clarify:
1.The graphics you make with GIMP are your own work, and you retain all rights to that work under the
intellectual property rights laws of your country/region/company.
2.The use of GIMP does not alter your rights to your work, or the rights of any others to their work (so if
you copy something under copyright off the internet and edit in GIMP, you would still need the permission of
the original artist to use the graphics you downloaded).

In GIMP, please go to:  Help > About > Licence, and you will find this message in the second paragraph:

GIMP is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public Licence for more
details.

What that means is that the GIMP is made by the community to be useful to everyone for commercial or private
use, but there is no warranty on the software its self, nor is there a guarantee that it is fit for whatever
you are using it for.

That said, I've been using GIMP professionally for about 8 years now, for tens of thousands of commercial
products, and every aspect of design from product concepts, to edits, to photography of the finished
products, and commercial advertisements, branding, billboards, magazine adverts, package design, etc.

In my humble opinion, it's simply an awesome and indispensable tool for commercial design work. (Check out
Inkscape.org for an Open Source vector editor as well)

GIMP can also be installed on as many machines as you want, with no license fees.

Note: I get this question a lot. To the devs, I propose we add the answer to the FAQ (though probably a
shortened form, with less of me gushing about how good GIMP is for commercial use. ;) )

-C