[Gimp-user] Indexed layers

Hi,

First of all let me say that I'm an almost complete ignorant about image
manipulating. And also a very recent GIMP user.

That said, I'm trying to create a specific GNOME theme.

When I try to change colours (menu Colours->Colorize(?) or Colour
curves)  for png's in gtk3/assets, I get a message about not working
with indexed layers.
GIMP has a very complete and vast help system. Could someone point me to
where I should look for info about editing these files?

Another matter, I also tried a plugin for exporting to svg but I
couldn't get it to work! :-(

Regards,
Pedro.