[Gimp-user] struggling

Hello,
I'm writing to you after a very frustrating couple of hours.  Have to admit to being a complete novice, but
I'm having a real problem even getting the simplest thing to work - ie Saving an image in gimp.   When I try
to save anything (in the default format) in the "Save as" window, there is no option to Save in the window,
neither is the image in the preview pane.
I tried uninstalling gimp and reinstalling it in case anything had got creased up in the original
installation, but the re-installed exactly the same, right down to one small alteration I had made which was
to put the layers tab into the toolbox.
I do hope you can help, because i really like the look of this bit of software, and as an artist who is just
wanting to produce some camera ready art/graphic design work, it seems just what I'm looking for.
Happy New Year to you! Griz
http://www.driftwood-studio.net