Re: [Gimp-user] opening 2.9.3 file in 2.8.14 (NOT)

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:17 PM, Jernej Simončič
<jernej|s-ng eternallybored org> wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:42:24 +0100, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Maybe a good feature could be to have a small text listing exactly the
reason(s) why an image cannot be saved in compatibility mode (overlay
layer, high bit depth, metadata or a mix of 2 or 3 of these features.
The new compression is the only feature which is bypassable and does
not block compatibility mode).

How about having an option to Export to the old format version?

Now wanting to sound sarcastic, but have you read my email? There is
such an option and I told about it in the email you answer to.
Quoting myself:

This is why you have a case "Save this XCF file with
maximum compatibility" in the save dialog. When you check it, it will
save a XCF with the older compression, which can be opened with GIMP
2.8, probably even GIMP 2.6 or older!

But there are some features which are intrinsically impossible to make
compatible. In particular, high bit depth or new layer modes. Being
"compatible" just means not using the features (and making the file
compatible during save only means "losing data and even getting a
different render").
Just as there were some features which made some XCF files from GIMP
2.8 incompatible with 2.6 (in particular: using layer groups made your
XCF file non openable in 2.6), there are new features in 2.10 which
will do the same for 2.8.

Now for the particular issue of metadata, I realized after my email
yesterday that they are saved in a way which can make a XCF with
metadata still compatible in GIMP 2.8 without losing the metadata on
saving (simply they cannot be viewed nor edited in 2.8, but they will
still be passed along and viewable/editable when the file is reopened
in 2.10). So I made a patch for this on our bug tracker, waiting for
Mitch review.

I believe this was the most annoying issue here (at least reading Akkana email).

Jehan