Re: [Gimp-user] opening 2.9.3 file in 2.8.14 (NOT)

On 05/12/15 15:58, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Ofnuts wrote:

No, this will not always happen, just when you use features that are not available in the older gimp version - e.g. high precision pixel formats.

Wouldn't it be useful to have a different file extension for the new
high-precision contents?
What's the benefit?

Not endlessly explaining to users that there are two different types of XCF. I hate to say this, but Microsoft did it right with the new docx/xlsxl extensions. Granted, upgrading Gimp to the latest version won't be a rip-off so we can expect most people to upgrade quickly, but the transition period can lead to some severely confused people. And there may be tools around (Image viewers for instance) that accept "XCF" but will only support the <=2.8 format for a while.

Should file extension be changed every time some
major change happpens? How many different file extensions for GIMP
would you be comfortable with?

One per incompatible change (ie, version N cannot load version N+1).