Re: [Gimp-user] Questions regarding text and cloning

Steve Kinney <admin pilobilus net> writes:

On 12/02/2015 06:43 PM, Jeffery Small wrote:

One other thought I had was to duplicate the layer and then convert that
layer from text to graphics, however I don't see any way to accomplish
this.

I think that's the best solution.  In the Layers dock, right click
the text layer and select Duplicate Layer.  Then right click on the
new layer and select Discard Text Information.  You might then click
in the small box with a paint brush icon just above the layer
thumbnails in the same dock:  That locks the layer's alpha channel,
preserving the transparency of the empty part of the new layer no
matter what you smear on the part with text.

Steve:

Thanks for the tips regarding Discard Text Information and the Alpha
Channel Lock.  I have tried this and it still is not working.  When I
first did this and tried to clone from another layer, I realize that the
converted text layer was just the bounding box for the text and I could not
clone from outside this region, so I then did a Layer to Image Size.  From
testing, it looks like this operation by itself discards text information
if you didn't already do that step yourself.  In any case, I am unable to
draw at all on the converted text layer.  Not only can I not clone, but I
cannot use Bucket Fill or draw with a pencil or brush.  I can draw on all
other layers, but not this one.

I feel as though I'm missing something basic here.  Any other ideas?

BTW, If it matters, I'm using GIMP 2.8.14 on an Xubuntu 15.10 system.

Regards,
--
Jeff