[Gimp-user] reduce resolution while retaining image size on computer

Hi,

This topic has been asked and answered several times before, but it doesn't work
for me. I want to reduce resolution but keep the same image dimensions on the
screen - this has nothing to do with wanting to print.

So I followed the answer given here
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/15189-resolution

 1) check the cubic or sinc option in quality box
 2) changed the resolution, in this case from 600 to 300.
 3) re-enter original width in width box
 4) click scale image

When I do this, the image DOES NOT stay the same. It shrinks to 50% of original
size.   What mistake am I making?

Thank you

Chris

--