Re: [Gimp-user] Add Border and Add Bevel values

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Russell Gadd wrote:
In the hope that the developers keep an eye on this mailing list, I'm
putting forward a request for a few (hopefully minor) enhancements, as
follows:

Russell,

You don't need to be a developer to adjust that.

1. The maximum border is 250 which is often too small for my purposes.

Find the file called addborder.scm amd open it in the file editor.
Change 250 to whatever you need in these two lines:

  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Border X size" '(12 1 250 1 10 0 1)
  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Border Y size" '(12 1 250 1 10 0 1)

2. When I add a bevel the maximum bevel is 30, could this be extended, to
say 100?

Same thing. Find and open add-bevel.scm, tweak this line:

  SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Thickness"       '(5 0 30 1 2 0 0)

Actually, I think that now that pictures are bigger on average, we
might adjust that in upstream, although I'm not sure if this should be
done in 2.8.x.

In both cases, technically it's better to:

1. Make copies of the original files,

2. Edit your copies. Change names of the scripts that show up in menu,
e.g. change:

_"Add B_evel..."

_"Advanced Add B_evel..."

3. Rename the low-level technical name that is used for registering a
new script, e.g. change

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-add-bevel" "<Image>/Filters/Decor")

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-advanced-add-bevel" "<Image>/Filters/Decor")

as well as:

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-add-bevel" "<Image>/Filters/Decor")

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-advanced-add-bevel" "<Image>/Filters/Decor")

4. Place edited copies to your local scripts folder. That way your
changes won't be overwritten, when you install new version of GIMP.

3. The "delta" value on colour creates a gradient on the sides which I
don't want but unfortunately it doesn't accept zero, the lowest value is 1.
Is it possible to allow a zero value? However I'm not too troubled by this
as a value of 1 is hardly detectable.

Sorry, I don't get it. Bevel is a 3D thing. It's supposed to have
shading. If you need a flat fill inthe frame, please use the Add
Border script.

Alex